Monday, July 4, 2016

Freedom...

10a. Avalon, NJ

Step Six:  We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Avalon is a special place.  It's a town on a little island on the Atlantic, very southern New Jersey.  My husband's family has spent the better part of 30 years coming here for holiday, and now, I get to enjoy time here with his family in a cozy, inviting home for a week.

One of my favorite parts of coming down here are the meetings.  Every morning at 0730 there is a meeting 5 blocks from our house.  This morning, 4th of July, there were probably 200 people at the meeting. Not unusual, and wonderfully supportive and necessary.  I'm so grateful for meetings, connection, and community.  200 strangers to me, yet at the end, holding hands in prayer, I'm immediately part of and included.

Today The United States of America turns 240 years young. So young!! Freedom comes to mind, celebrating all that we have in this great nation, no matter one's politics, truly celebrating what it means to be American.  I am so grateful for the freedoms this nation provides, the brilliance of this land, and being a participant in my community to help make the world a better place, one day at a time.

Recovery promises "we are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness."  I believe that to be true.  I believe in my day-to-day living the more able I am to surrender to my higher power's will for me, the more ready I am to participate in daily living with ease and joy.

This morning's meeting was a reminder of the willingness required to receive the blessings of freedom in my daily life.  I feel so grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment